BannerFans.com

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Hidden Treasures

For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh; That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.(Colossians 2:2-3 KJV)


The Bible says in The Book of Proverbs,

"My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments... if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures; then you will... find the knowledge of God."(Proverbs 2:1-5)

The Bible is likened to a treasure in this verse. When you think of treasures, you might think of things like Treasure Island and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Most times treasures are hidden or locked away. There are usually adventures attached to the acquisition of treasures.

Indiana Jones' perilous crusade consisted of narrow escapes from rats, fire, gunmen, and a ship's propeller. It is only by the skin of his teeth that Jones' finally uncovers the location of the Holy Grail.

Jones' is willing to risk his life to find this treasure. This may seem rather extreme, but that's the kind of fervor we should have for the Word of God. Yes, our Bible's are not locked away in a vault, and today, it is still #1 on the Best-seller's List, but the Bible is worth more than a hidden treasure.

If we approach the Word of God like a hidden treasure, we gain total access to the knowledge or riches of God.

Isaiah says,
"And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places..."    (Isaiah 45:3)

As Christians, we have direct access to the secret things of God. That's right -- God wants to share His secrets with us! Can you image this? Just picture God bowing near, cupping His hand, and whispering His secrets into your ear.

"Making known to us the mystery (secret) of His will (of His plan, of His purpose). [And it is this:] In accordance with His good pleasure (His merciful intention) which He had previously purposed and set forth in Him, [He planned] for the maturity of the times and the climax of the ages to unify all things and head them up and consummate them in Christ, [both] things in heaven and things on the earth." (Ephesians 1:9-10)



God has made His secrets known to the world. Yet, not everyone will attune their ears. According to the verse above, the mystery of God is summed up in Christ.

Do you treasure Christ? Is your daily life an adventure to find only Him? Or are you trapped in an endless maze of self-discovery?

Jesus told His disciples to "sell all" for a treasure in the heavens. It often requires some sacrifice of self whether it be material possessions, job, relationship, etc... Your soul will never find true satisfaction until it rests solely in the riches of Christ.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not corrupt and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21)



Where Are Your Treasures?

The Treasure Principle Christ’s radical perspective on money, possessions, provision, and trust raises some practical questions. Do my long-term savings or retirement plans, my insurance policies, my beautiful house, car, or real estate holdings reduce my sense of dependence on God? Do they give me misplaced security? Considering what the money spent on these things would do if directly invested in the Kingdom of God, do I really believe the money is being used in the best way? Am I forfeiting treasures in Heaven by storing up treasures on earth? Am I setting myself up for worry by trusting in the things that cannot bear the weight of my trust?

To those who seek first His Kingdom and sacrificially give of their assets to it, Christ’s promise is material provision (Matthew 6:32-33, Philippians 4:19). Trust Him and there is nothing to worry about. Trust anything else and you’ve got every reason to worry.



With every challenge my family and I have faced over the years, I have found myself thinking more and more about the treasures of Heaven. Every moment of our lives we are one step closer to the world to come, and one step further from this present world. Are we headed toward our eternal treasure or away from it? The choice is ours.

So what is your treasure? What does your heart long for?

Where do you hide your heart? 

What we most value is where we will find our heart. So it is an important question. You see, we can treasure riches, control, security, and relationships. Jesus reminds us that it is only by turning loose of the things that most of us keep as our treasures that we find what is truly treasure indeed.

Treasures in Darkness

I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name (Isaiah 45:3).


"I have never been in this place before. It is new ground for me and I find I am way out of my comfort zone. I am scared to death to trust Him at this level. I had to confess to the Lord I have not been able to accept or believe His love for me in this area." Those were the words I expressed to a friend when I was in a difficult place in my life. It was that day when I confessed those words that God led me to this passage of scripture.

What we perceive as dark periods in our lives are designed to be treasures from God. They are actually riches stored in secret places. We cannot see those times in this light because of the often-accompanying pain or fear that prevents us from accepting these times as treasures. They have a particular purpose from God's viewpoint; 

"so that you may know that I am the Lord who summons you by name."

You see, unless we are cast into times in which we are completely at the mercy of God for breakthroughs in our lives we will never experience the faithfulness of God in those areas. We will never know how personal He is or that He can be trusted to meet the deepest needs in our lives. God wants each of us to know that we are "summoned by name." Every hair of our head is numbered. Every activity we are involved in He knows. His love for you and me knows no bounds, and He will take every opportunity to demonstrate this to you and me.

Has God brought you into a place of darkness? Trust Him today to allow Him to reveal that hidden treasure that can be found in this darkness. Let Him summon you by name.

Our Treasure in Jesus


In Matthew 26, ...
a woman poured extremely expensive perfume all over the feet of Jesus. She was met with indignation, even disgust, by Jesus’ disciples. They provocatively asked:

“Why this waste?”

It was a year’s worth of wages wrapped up in a bottle. This lavish act of love stirred criticism amongst the others as they considered a more noble use for her perfume. They said, “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.” (Matthew 26:9)

What did this woman believe about Jesus to take such a precious commodity, and in a moment, spill it out over his feet?

When we love Jesus with all our hearts, nothing is too good for Him. And when we recognize the goodness that comes from Him — that He came to set us free from the bondage of sin and heal our brokenness, exchanging the ashes in our lives with the beauty and purity of His own — we can’t help but worship Him completely, even amidst scrutiny.

This woman knew that Jesus could offer her what the world could not: a new life with total forgiveness. Her treasure was in Jesus. Her heart was completely set upon Him.

Jesus stands at the door of our hearts and knocks. When we open this door to Him, nothing we offer to Him is a waste. A life lived in total surrender to God is the richest life one can ever live.

The Bible also says that those who find God as their sole treasure will be a treasure unto Him:

"And they shall be Mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up My jewels." (Malachi 3:17)

You can be a treasure. As you draw closer to God, you will find that you become more and more like Him. You are as good as the treasure you seek.

He will also protect you and set you apart in a treasure chest. Only the most beautiful and precious jewels are kept for Him.

You are worth far more than rubies. You are worth so much that One man gave His life up for you to acquire you. Your hero is Jesus Christ, and He is vehemently pursuing you even now.

So, don't dismay. He has not stuck you on a shelf to collect dust. Don't hide. If He has the key to your heart, than you are free to shine your jewels. Your life is a treasure that the Lord admires.

The Key to Unlocking Your Hidden Treasures is knowing the Lord Jesus Christ and having a deeper relationship with Him. He is calling you to begin the relationship.



Today's Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father,
I pray that out of the riches of your grace, you may help me find my treasure in you and nothing else. Today, I want to offer you all that I am and have, so that my life will be lived for your glory. In the name of Jesus, my example and treasure I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment